Wednesday, January 24, 2007

World's Worst World of Warcraft Launch Party

Been a while since I last posted an entry. Been extremely busy since I got back to Singapore to settle the remaining scraps (selling of house, car, packing, my dog, etc..) before I make my final move to Aberdeen, UK.

The days back here have been erratic. For one, I had a damn severe jet lag which lasted for about a week, so I was a walking zombie by day and a wide-eyed maniac by night. Had to pay a high price for that though - just make sure you check out my dark eye rings and eye bags when you meet me and you know what I mean ^_^

So, what have I done since my return which was most rewarding? In actual fact, before my return to Singapore, I placed an order for 2 pre-order redemption cards for the long-awaited game of the year - World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. Burning Crusade is the expansion to the game with millions of players worldwide. Without a doubt, I am one of them - though I stopped my subscription for about 3 months before I reactivated it again prior to the launch of Burning Crusade on 16 January 2007. The launch in Singapore was held at Suntec City - the vacant area outside of Carrefour.

When I first realised that the greatest game in the world was going to have a launch in here in Singapore, I was doubtful that it will be a success - especially when it is held at such a public place, instead of an exclusive party for the gamers =( Still, I was hopeful nonetheless.

Upon arrival at the launch, all my excitement just vanished into thin air. Why? Thousands were already in the queue for the redemption of the game. It was just insane. I mean, I have already paid and collected my redemption cards and now I have to queue again for what seemed like hours - the spiral queue led all the way to the outside of the shopping complex, into the bright hot sun!!

At 1pm, the game was officially launched with a disgraceful, nonsensical, lame skit of a Night-Elf MAGE and a Human WARLOCK. When I saw the skit, I did not know whether to laugh or to cry. For those of you who play the game, you would know that there is no such thing as a Night-Elf Mage!!! Also, mages do not use Swords!! and there is no such spell as the Mage Blade!!! I took a short snippet of the skit for you to better visualise my anguish.



Sigh... I'm sure many WoW fans who were at the launch would have been disappointed. Oh.. maybe all except for one guy. There was this guy who was in the queue since 10pm the night before (the launch was scheduled for 1pm on 16 Jan 2007), so yes, he stayed there the whole night. He emerged the ultimate winner as being the first in the queue. And, guess what were his rewards? A collector's edition of the World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade and a World of Warcraft Boardgame. Apart from the games, he probably got some media attention and all, but, what the hell.. 15hours for this??? He better be a freaking god-damn good WoW player, fully geared with epics from head to toe.

Will try to blog a little more in the coming weeks. Stay tuned..

1 Comment:

Angeline Ng said...

omg... What the..
:) My bf (who went to queue for me) told me it was bad, I didn't know it was THAT bad. hahaha ...
Why can't they stick to the game contents and all ? /frown

Creative Commons License
Copyright © 2006 http://prettybits.blogspot.com. All rights reserved.