Sunday, December 10, 2006

X'mas in Aberdeen

15 Days to Christmas!

Every city in the world has its own way of celebrating X'mas and spreading the X'mas cheer. Here in Aberdeen, X'mas is celebrated by almost everyone. This has got to be the only time of the year where you have to jostle your way through the masses along Union Street.

I too, made my way to town yesterday and had an absolutely smashing X'massy time there!

Trooping along Union Street, we came upon a cute little red "Santa train" “choo-chooing” on the road in the opposite direction. Merry looking shoppers were being shuttled along, waving happily from their vantage points, glad to be able to put their tired feet up for a change. . Following a short distance behind were three limousines in succession, in the colours of pretty pink, snowy white and lemony lime. Talk about shopping in style! I know what my next mode of shopping transport’s gonna be!! And in pretty pink too, no less! Along the way, we were passed by Santa, Bozo the clown and….. a pink elephant(!)….. Oh er, sorry, the last one was my imagination, must be the freezing cold…..

Castlegate loomed at the end of Union Street, so named because of the looming castle (duh!). A small but cosy traditional German X'mas Market set up shop there. The aroma of mouth-watering food greeted the cold, weary shoppers, with stalls ranging from traditional German sausages, beer, hot malted wine with shots of rum, Asian cuisine, grills, Paella from Spain and haribo sweets for the sweety-toothed…. Yummy! Don’t know about you, but food seems to taste especially good when you’re outdoors , in freezing winter. Souvenirs in all variety, shapes, and sizes from different parts of the world were on display and for sale, of course, as well. Didn't manage to snap any pictures cause my Ixus battery chose to die on me at the most inopportune time, thus giving me another convenient excuse to go back to the markets (no complaints from me of course!) I’ll try to take some smashing pics this week! Overall, had a fantabulous time at the Market, eating and drinking and making merry, with “Jingle Bells”, “White X’mas and “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” chiming in the background. Best part of all, it was really COLD!! No way you're not gonna be able to enjoy this market in hot, humid weather (like in Singapore). Now that’s real X’mas for you!! Heehee. *hint hint to friends to come spend X'mas with me*

Only thing missing was the snow…….


Having been thoroughly filled with the X'mas spirit, I came home and decided that we should have a right go at assembling the X'mas tree that we bought a couple of days back. This house sure could do with some sprucing up! Santa’s gonna want to visit and never leave! Ho! Ho! Ho!

As I had never assembled a X'mas tree in my entire life (can you believe that???? Shocking!!!) , I had absolutely no idea what I was in for. For those of you who are in the unbelievable position of never having put up a X'mas tree as well (simply placing decorations on the tree doesn't count!), and are about to purchase and assemble one on your own, please make sure you get some professional and trained help!! It took me almost 2 whole hours to assemble and decorate the entire tree! MAN, I was certain I had never worked so hard in my life!!! Even my 3 hour long gym sessions (complete with rigorous body-combat and back-breaking body pump classes back-to-back, no less), seemed like a walk in the park compared to this.

I was literally grumbling throughout the entire process (hmmm, not really in keeping with the X’mas spirit, I would say) and lamented my decision to get the tree in the first place. But, once everything was done, I laid back on the couch and admired my masterpiece, satisfaction amidst all that dripping sweat, all that hard work miraculously forgotten…. Merry Christmas, indeed!



DO NOT REMIND ME ABOUT DISASSEMBLING THE TREE AFTER X'MAS!!!

0 Comments:

Creative Commons License
Copyright © 2006 http://prettybits.blogspot.com. All rights reserved.